Preparing Your Basement for Wet Weather
It’s officially summer on the East Coast—which also means it’s hurricane season. And forecasters have predicted stronger storms than usual in 2013, which may impact homeowners from the coast of Maryland and New Jersey and beyond. In order to avoid a flooded basement, which could lead to mold and more serious structural problems in your home, it’s important to prepare your basement for wet weather. Continue reading for storm preparation tips or contact Ameri-Dry for basement waterproofing in MD, DE, PA, NJ, VA, TN, or WV.
Storm Preparation ChecklistOf course, the best way to prepare your basement for wet weather is to waterproof it. However, there are some things you can do around the house that can help you get ready for storms. Here are some tips that can help you prepare your basement for wet weather:
- Remove as much as you can from the basement floor, especially any cardboard or newspaper.
- Unplug all electrical devices in your basement.
- If you have a sump pump, make sure the area around it is clear to avoid obstruction.
- Clean your gutters and extend downspouts so water will be released as far away from your home as possible.
- Look out for leaks, cracks, or powdery substances on the wall that can signify a foundation problem.
- Get a foundation inspection to make sure there are no existing leaks or drainage problems.
Waterproofing Basements in MD, DE, PA, NJ, VA, TN, or WVWaterproofing basements is the best way to prevent water damage and keep homes permanently dry. And the waterproofing experts at Ameri-Dry can help. We’ve developed state-of-the-art solutions for waterproofing basements, designed to intercept ground water and redirect it away from your home. We provide the following specific waterproofing services:
- Waterproofing Basements
- Waterproofing Basement Walls
- Waterproofing Crawlspaces
- Waterproofing Foundations